Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grand Teton National Park

This last weekend I went to Grand Teton National Park to visit an old friend of mine, Ross, who works in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. I got to the park on Saturday afternoon, got a campsite at Hatchet Campground, set up my tent and then called Ross to meet up with him. A few minutes later and we were on our way to Jackson to get a few groceries and food to grill that evening. It was so good to see Ross since it has been a few years since we had seen each other last. Once back at the Forest Service Compound our changes for the evening changed. The two of us and Ross's brother Warren were invited over to some friends, Judy & Larry, to ride bikes and grill at their place. So we loaded into the car and headed over to their place which happens to be the house at Jackson Lake Dam, which Larry runs. The bike path runs from Moose to Jenny Lake right now in the Tetons. It is a great path and it is so nice to be able to ride your bikes through the park without having to worry about being hit by cars and motorhomes. After a beautiful evening ride through the park we headed back to Judy & Larry's to grill steak, chicken and corn on the cob. We also had a yummy salad, biscuits, brownies and peanut butter ice cream. Warren, Ross and I eventually waddled our way home around midnight. It was an absolutely perfect first day in the Tetons.

Sunday morning Ross and I met up with Judy & Larry again and hiked Death Canyon, which is in the Southern part of GTNP. The hike was GORGEOUS. Plus we saw 1 grizzly, 1 moose and dozens of pikas. Before this trip I had never really done any hiking in the Tetons and I am so glad I finally did. The picture above is from the overlook of Phelps Lake. Me about halfway up the canyon. Larry & Judy coming up the trail. On the way back down the canyon I tripped and scraped my knee up pretty bad. Nothing like taking a chunk of skin! Ha Ha After the hike we returned home to wash up a bit, grab my stuff, car and Warren and then re-united with Judy & Larry for dinner at Leek's Marina. I had never been there before and they have good pizza and amazing views. After dinner I said my good-byes and started the long trek back to Mammoth. I had a great weekend and can't wait to get down there for another visit soon.

No comments: